Thursday, October 20, 2011

BTS Toys Sonicron "Not Soundwave"

As big of a fan as I am of Soundwave, I didn't jump on this. I thought it would be uncool to buy this without first owning a vintage one. Upon getting a vintage one, I still didn't jump on it. First of all, it's a third party toy and I knew very little about it and second, I didn't want to fork over 60+ dollars for it. But of course, I eventually found it on clearance and I bought it. I should have been suspicious about its sudden clearance price, but I wasn't. Even if I was, I would still buy it. I am not afraid of toys that get a bad rep for build because I dont play with my stuff, I review it and display it. Anyways, I tried to stay away from other peoples reviews so I could have a clear head when I got mine. I like it. It definitely has a third party feel to it. The box design looks fan made, nothing that would ever get mistaken for a Hasbro product. The box has a flap with magnets which is a really cool touch. The transformation is rather clever in my opinion and the detailing is more than expected. The fit finish leaves a lot to be desired but I am not going to say I regret buying it. It actually is a nice display piece. I can look past it's loose joints, misaligned panels and plastic flash. More picky collectors would probably stay away.

The box is rigid and has a nice matte finish to it.

I dont know if there's is anyone who would cut apart this box, but there are printed cassetes on the box that can be cut out and folded to fit into the alternate mode.

The flap swings open to show the contents.

There are a few accessories included, one of which is an alternate Cybertronian looking head.

I could have probably done a more dramatic pose, but the limp right arm voted against it.

Here is alternate mode. I believe Soundwave should ALWAYS be a cassette recorder. I don't care what year it is, Soundwave should always be a cassette recorder. That's just me. In a world of iPods and MP3's, this alternate mode retains the cassette gimmick.

And you'll be happy to know that G1 cassettes fit. I was only able to test Ravage in it and the door would not close. Bummer. Stay tuned for a full review of this guy on collectiondx.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment