I was in the mood to take a stab at another custom. Im a bit lazy when it comes to customs. But when i do them, i want them to come out nice. I also like it when i can finish them in the little time I have. That is why I took this project on.
Ive always liked the incredibly rare Marlboor Stratos Diaclobe figure which Wheeljack is based off of. I decided that I would use an RID Wheeljack for this and as of right now I believe its the first of its kind.
I started by sanding the entire figure in car form to get rid of the factory paint apps. Then I scuffed the entire body of the car. Next was taking the figure apart, masking the bits I dont want painted and carefully working the edges of the tape where the red paint will be applied.
Next, after all masking was done, I misted some primer to get a little tack on the coating. Then quickly followed by a mist coat of red paint. After a minute, i applied another coat amd then another etc until i got an even red.
After paint was dried, i removed the masking tape carefully as to not damage the paint edges of the graphics. After that was done, I assembled the figure to see what it looked like. This way I could see where any stray paint ended up so I could clean it later. The figure is still far from complete as there will be more paint detailing, weathering and decals will have to be made. The decals are make or break so I will be using water transfer decals. And the cherry on top will be a thick glossy clear coat to seal the decals and make this thing shine! Stay tuned for more.